Aug 4, 2007

Ebrahim Saheb Street- A Foodies delight

A couple of weeks ago, my friend and I were roaming around aimlessly (like we always do…. No sense of direction, whatsoever!) And found ourselves in the back alleys of Commercial Street. The name sounded familiar… Ebrahim Saheb Street… I think my mother would go there to shop for intricate embroided dress materials… (Why I am even talking about embroidery.?!?) Anyways, the surprising thing about the street in reference is that it has a large number of roadside eateries with a large variety… from jalebis, to churmur chat and the quintessential South Indian delicacy, Idlis and Dosas. The street reminded me of the “Parathe Waali Galli” in good ol’ Dilli, only much M-U-C-H smaller… (Sorry dilli wallas, if I have offended you…. Just a mild comparison…. I might be wrong…. Very wrong)

The only thing that amazed me was that I hadn’t heard about these Idli and Dosa joints before, being a Bangalorean all my life (Shame!!). We decided to start the proceedings with the soft Idlis and some chutney (very hot!). In no time we had gobbled up about half a dozen of ‘em….. We then went for a Dosa with generous amounts of clarified butter and dollops of white butter thrown in at the end…. I must say, the Dosas were indeed good. We also tried a Dosa with onions thrown in and oh…. Not to forget the vadas that acted as fillers while waiting for the dosas! Quite a meal for a hungry twosome…. The important thing is, we didn’t spend too much money and the food was a zillion times better than the thrash which is dished out in those stinky “Darshinis” (I despise those places…. Why is the sambar sweet, for cryin out loud?). People, who are paranoid about eating on the street, don’t worry, because, I am pretty sensitive too and it didn’t throw my bowel movements outta gear….. ;) For dessert we wound up at Bhagatrams, made famous by their DELICIOUS Gulab Jamuns and Gajar Halwas…. I think I have been going to Bhagatrams for as long as I can remember…. The gulab jamuns taste just the same… I hope it stays that way….

To wrap things up, I will go with three out of Five for the Dosa joints at Ebrahim Saheb Street (We didn’t explore too much though). I think the next time, I will make it a point to try some jalebis at a shop close to the Dosa place….

(PS: My next review: Veena Stores, Malleswaram)

p.s - review by AJ

0 comments: